Thursday, July 12, 2007

Please, tell me you're kidding!

You don't have to be a woman to care about "women's issues", but as one, I'm twice as mad to read about stories like this. After the initial "What the...?!" came the "You've got to be kidding me!" and a serious wish I had a punching bag I could go and punish.
In case you didn't read/hear about it, one mr. Judge Jeffre Cheuvront from Nabraska ruled that using words like "Rape", "Sexual assault" and "Victim" in the rape trial of pre-law student Tory Bowen was too inflamatory to make for a fair trial. You can hear more about the story here and here. This, in the same week Israeli Attorney General Menny Mazuz offers the sex offender ex-president Katzav a light and sweet plea deal in the multiple sexual assault and rape charges case of several former employees over decades of public service. The full story is here (in short, not much you can find in English).
It never ceases to amaze me how far we still are from the 21st century, where people with (supposedly) wisdom and lots of education can still come up with ideas that are so primitive, so intent on sending women's rights back to the dark ages. I am, I admit, a couch feminist. I do what feels like a lot of us do - read about cases like these in the paper, get mad, go to work the next day thinking "well, I don't like being aggressive. I'll just work twice as hard to prove my worth and that will strengthen the global woman mojo and make the rest of the world (men?) appreciate us more. But what if it's not enough? What can a peace loving, non confrontational (aren't wel all?) woman do?
I just wonder if either Judge Chevront or Mr. Mazuz have any daughters.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11:24 PM, July 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who's non confrontational? *waves baseball bat*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home