Monday, July 21, 2008

Barn! *

We got home from work tonight and this is what we found:


Yes, this is our bathroom. Or was. Turns out the almost a hundred years old wooden windowsill was rotting and let water seep into the wall. The whole thing has to be broken apart, let dry and re-covered. Later in the week they'll have to re-tile the new wall, put on the grout and seal it. And it's going to be a few days before I can use my lovely shower. Barn!

It's tragic, really. You see - I love my showers more than is probably natural. I think the shower is man's greatest invention. Think about it: you can get a warm one on a cold winter day after you've been rain soaked and three cars in a row raced past you into a puddle. You can take a cold one when the temperatures outside go three digit. You can take one after a long sweaty workout (or a military kitchen duty - trust me, that's shower ever), or as a short, quick refresher before you head out for a night on the town. Seriously, showers are great.

I'm certainly guilty of liking my showers a tad too much. My dad and husband will agree. I'm a good environmentalist, but I really have a hard time cutting my showers short. If I don't get my morning shower, no amount of coffee will save the day. If we run out of hot water in October I'll still take one. I even braved the crowds and jail-house conditions in my basic training camp ("Julis", no less) to get one. Like I said, I love my showers.

So you see, not being able to take one until roughly Friday makes Michal super cranky. We'll have to go to the gym earlier all week to grab some running water. I wonder just how bad my hair can get in four days (I'm not optimistic). But hey, I am trying to look on the bright side - at least we still have running water.
Knock on wood, hamsa-hamsa, and thank goodness neither of the cats is even remotely black.

* In case I neglected to mention this before, I curse like a sailor. But I work in a fairly PG language environment, so I have to improvise. "Crackers!" or "Holy crackers!" have been my favorites so far, but I started using "Barn!" lately, and I'm having a blast with it.
You do know what I really want to say though, right?


7.25 UPDATE:
The shower is back in action! It's filthy as all hell, but I can actually take a shower in my own apartment now. Phew! Sanity restored. Just in time.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, August 01, 2008, Blogger Pecos Blue said...

I like the creative word play. Wow I am sure it will turn out great in the end.

 
At 8:30 AM, August 09, 2008, Blogger Tamar said...

I am super impressed by your shower dedication. I am pretty dedicated myself, but cold showers? Training camp? You take the cake!

Oh, and BARN and HOLLY CRACKERS - my new favorite non-curse-words ever. ( Can I just say? It took me a really long time to figure out that a certain 'curse' word shared by both Americans and Israelis that I consider super mild and normal for kids to say - turns out is Not Okay?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home