Tuesday, January 23, 2007

In the land of "first"s

This weekend was all about stuff being "the first":

1. I've sewn my first tote bag.

(more photos here and here ) It's based on this splendid tutorial by Super Mariko with some changes, like the outside fabric folding in, the pocket and the felt fish. Next time, there will be some changes. All in all I'm pretty proud of myself. I may make more for the store, if it looks like people might be interested.

2. We went to this posh new local. Ok, it's as posh as the Inglewood border can get. To be honest, this area is being invaded by hippi-posh young kids like us, and the restaurant was really nice, but that was a funny observation.

3. I made this and OH MY! That thing is GOOD! It's also the first cake/cookie/bar I've ever made that came out perfect the first time. You've got t make a batch, I'm telling ya (no wonder I had tons of energy to cycle on monday... ; ) ). The only thing I made different, was exchange the glaze with this lemon juice and powdered sugar glaze my mom makes. The tangy made it a bit more balanced, sweetness-wise. Man, I'm drooling just thinking about it... Thanks for shring, Myra!

I'll close this entry with some photos of your favorite feline. We brought our load from Costco in these boxes and Suki has turned them into a kitty home (AKA "Fort Kitty"). They take up half the kitchen, but we can't bring ourselves to throw hem away. Sorry for the blur - cats move quickly (more photos here and here).


Happy Tuesday! Happy Week! Happy life!

P.S.
Have you seen those cuties from Anna Chambers? Oh, I'm humbled, yet again...

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, January 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super cute... i like the idea of putting a plush fish/cat on a patch of a baby quilt.

 
At 1:44 PM, January 23, 2007, Blogger Michal Wright-Ward said...

thank you! i think everything needs an extra bit of cute. : )

 
At 6:34 PM, January 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the bag, especially how the fish looks like he might swim right off of it!

Glad to hear you liked the bars. Would you mind sharing the recipe for your glaze? I also thought a lemon glaze would make it even better but when I tried to tweak the recipe it didn't come out how I hoped.

 
At 9:32 AM, January 24, 2007, Blogger Michal Wright-Ward said...

why thank you, Myra! means a lot coming from you. as for the lemon glaze - i mixed a spoonfull of lemon juice into 1/4 cup of powdered sugar and blended it. it came out a bit watery, but it worked very well for us. it's a spin on this glazing my mom uses - warm water and powdered sugar. when you cover a hot-out-of-the-oven cake, it crystalizes to much yumminess. you should try it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home