Sunday, August 05, 2007

Busy-busy bee

It's been such a good weekend! I've been graced by the gods of retail to have a three (!) day weekend. The result - plenty of work done, and a ton of fun too!

Let' start with some socks, shall we?



I made it, I finished my Sockapalooza 4 socks - but just about. Sheesh! These socks beat the heck out of me. I don't know why and how come, possibly my constant exhaustion was to blame - but for a fairly simple pattern - I messed up way too often. Boo! I re-knit the heels twice (oy), re-re-knit too many pattern repeats (double oy), I bound them off twice (triple oy!)... But - they're finished! And with all the agony involved - I like them a lot! The pattern is easy (despite my best efforts to prove the opposite), beautiful and unique, Lorna's Laces has become my favorite sock yarn - soft, cushy and beautifully dyed. I hope my sock pal likes them...
I packed them up and they'll go away to my pal tomorrow. I added a couple of my favorite chocolates (I love the Panda one sooooo much! And it helps saving endangered animals too! Double score), a hand sewn bunny, a great bar of soap (I hate to promote stuff we sell at work, but his products are incredible, and we met the actual Hugo who started the company makes the soaps himself still - and he's such a great guy he deserves the mention) - and a little letter from moi.
(Yeah, my pal's name is Lynn - sorry if that's to revealing)



Done with the socks, I spent a whole day running arrends, shopping (I raided "Forever 21" yet again, jeans were on sale), mending (hemming said jeans), getting materials for prototypes for some stuff I'll hopefully do for wholesale. Then we headed off for some margaritas to celebrate the recent engagement (in Paris, bastards!) of our dear friends Nate and Crystal. And today - the sewing machine was working overtime!

I was inspired by the new Target Janome Hello Kitty sewing machines that I just had to personalize my cute little Singer. The result:


These are Suzy's Zoo stickers in the forest animals theme. Totally me!
And nothing compliments a physical makeover like a new wardrobe:



I just used my tape measure, some canvas I bought ages ago, and a sticky ribbon from the new Martha Stewart collection at Michael's (of course I had to get some, what kind of a craftster do you think I am?). I'm very pleased with myself.
Then I sewed a couple of new PJs pants and now - I'm writing these here lines!

What was Suki doing all this time?


Now I've got to go pick up a massive load of laundry. What a great weekend!

And how was your weekend?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, August 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So if you can sow your own clothes why keep buying 'em? I know I'd totally make my own shit if I had your ability; don't know about the states but here the latest fashion is called Overprices Bimbo Yuckness Of the Same Three Colors Made of Cheap materials That Can't Possibly Make Your Body Look Female. *sigh* I have to find the time to snoop around in second hand shops (or 'vintage' if you please *bats eyelashes*) for proper outfits.

 
At 8:51 AM, August 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need that teenie fox sticker. It is singing to me.

 
At 8:56 AM, August 09, 2007, Blogger Michal Wright-Ward said...

Good point, sis. Here's how I see it:
Eventually I am planning on sewing and knitting more and more of my wardrobe. However, to me - there's no point in sewing certain items like t-shirts, jeans, simple sweaters. Frankly - the materials are usually more expensive and sewing/knitting can get very time consuming. Also, sometimes it's easier to find items that are "have potential" and alter them into unique items. I'd rather sew/knit only special things that I can't find anywhere.
Frankly, fashion here is mostly stupid expensive or terribly cheaply made and old looking. That's why I love Forever 21 so much (you'd love it too): there's always something new, there's always somethinng on crazy sale, and you can feel free to alter anything because if you mess up - you only lost a $5 worth.

And for anyone who doesn't know my sister - she's been sewing costumes for herself, by hand, and from her own design - and is making jewelry. She's a talented girl!

 
At 10:53 AM, August 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow, so much good stuff in one post!! 1- That is one lucky pal you've got. The personalized label is great - I've got to make those more often for gifts. 2- I love those panda chocolates too, it's probably a good thing I don't live near The Store or I would be broke. 3- Why have I never thought of putting stickers on my sewing machine? Or making it a cute cover?! 4- Do you have a favorite pattern for pajama pants, or do you just wing it?

 
At 10:57 AM, August 10, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the socks and other lovely gifts! They are absolutely perfect - fit, pattern, yarn, everything! You can count your first Sockapalooza as an overwhelming success. Pics of the fit are at my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home