Friday, June 16, 2006

SF: The A-HA! MOMENT

Making an SF comback, am I? Yes indeed! Welcome back, me! I don't have much of a studio anymore, as I am sharing the dining room converted into work room with my beloved, but still - I can try, right?


I worked on this poor little guy this past weekend, and it had some major A-HA! moments in stock for me. It's the first thing I've sewn on a machine EVER, which is quite amazing (if you remember, I got this machine for my birthday). It was meant to be this doggie on the left from my beloved Japanese book. Well... it doesn't quite look like it, does it?
The first A-HA! moment came as I was setting up my machine for the first time. I'm used to feeling like an idiot for not getting very simple things - but this was one of the best of them. The whole upper/lower threading completely baffled me. three hours and many curses later, I had that first A-HA! Thank goodness.
Many small a-ha!s came at this point, as in "a-ha! So if I lower the foot onto the fabric the thread won't get all caught up and mangled!" "a-ha! The pedal controls the speed!" "a-ha! I didn't drive in three years, hence the lack of ability to control aid pedal!" "a-ha! Patterns sure can be complicated!" "a-ha! Pins are small but damn sharp!" etc.
The second A-HA! moment came later, as I was struggling to figure out how to combine the round lines on some of the pieces with the straight ones, and how on earth do you menouver those tiny pieces of fabric. The A-Ha moment started creeping up on me as I was working the body, and in the end, I just had to admit - it was meant to be hand sewn, wasn't it?
The last A-HA! moment was when I finished this guy, and was more of a A-HA?! as in - "was it meant to be this crooked?!" Well, to my defense, it was my first real sewing project, and the first one on a sewing machine. In context, I think I did a fine job. Ant quickly adopted him. And even Suki has been known to show interest.
The next project went much better.

7 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, June 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! i can't believe you sewed this guy! I am blown away that he is your first sewing project! My goodness!
Oh and the pedal at the machine? I love driving so much but haven't driven for 5 years now. I miss it so much! So a sewing machine would be very likely be a dream come true for me because of the pedal alone, hahahahah! That was a little A-ha moment for me just thinking about it.

Have you named your little doggi yet? He makes my heart melt!
What great post!!
xooxox

 
At 3:23 PM, June 16, 2006, Blogger Artful Creations by Tracie said...

What a cute wave of "a-ha's" you had throughout this project!! I love it!! And, crooked or not, he's cute!!!! :-) (I have to admit I'm so sewing-machine challenged I wouldn't even attempt a project of this magnitude! I'll stick to sewing my straight lines on my pages!!)

 
At 4:27 PM, June 16, 2006, Blogger Joy Eliz said...

oh how cute!!!

 
At 4:43 PM, June 16, 2006, Blogger Nancy said...

What a great story! Good for you for not giving up on him! Woof!

 
At 5:05 PM, June 16, 2006, Blogger Nate said...

Wow, that's really great, i love the pattern you put on the character.

 
At 8:56 AM, June 18, 2006, Blogger Debbie said...

Oh wow!! If this is your first project how fantasic will the next one be!! I absolutely love this little guy - you conveyed so much personality - and in fabric. I would think that's NOT an easy thing to do. BTW it's nice to hear that other people curse away while they create! :-D

 
At 7:03 AM, June 19, 2006, Blogger Ellen said...

Oh, yes, lots and lots of wonderful a-ha's. Great first sewing project, and good for you that you had the courage to try something that can be so intimidating!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home