Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Could I be knitophobic?

Since I still can't talk about the majority of what's going on in my life, let's talk about knitting. Or more like it - about not knitting.
Oh, worry not - the pomatamai are doing well, although I do suspect that I'll have to do something to close my aggressive YOs. I must be doing something wrong, but I can't quite pinpoint it. They're actually longer than in this photo - I got all the way to the heel now. This pattern is amazing. Ant's socks have been finished and bound off twice (the first time was way tight) last week. He's already been worn against wearing just half the pair with another sock, which is almost his standard. He doesn't mind his food touching either. Strange fellow...
This is all fun and games, but my next couple of projects get me a little worried.
What are my next projects? Wendy's Somewhat Cowl and the crocheted Hemp Flowers Necklace from Interwaeve Crochet 2005 (side note: yep, Anthropologie is using this pattern for their own crocheted necklace, yep it does cost $198, and yep - it seems like Kpixie ran out of the necklace kits for $12, which I was darn lucky to get my greedy hands on). The necklace I am less worried about - I'll practice its elements on some cheapo cotton I have in the stash. ...It's the cowl that gets my knees all shakin'.
Why? I don't know. I've been sweater-o-phobic for quite a while. I've had the yarn for this sweater and the pattern for months, and I love them both - but whenever I even think about combining them I freak out. It looks like a simple enough pattern, and the yarn (Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino) is to die for. I still get an instant fever at the sheer thought of knitting it.
I think my sudden illness has to do with the fact that I'm self educated, knit-wise. Hey, I'm not complaining, about 99% of what I know I taught myself. But sometimes I feel like it just doesn't cut it. Like I'm missing something grand, knowledge-wise that will show up as soon as I knit (or sew, fr that matter, but don't even get me started on that) something people might actually see me wear. I knit very tight, right handed, and I keep twisting the yarn for some reason, which makes for very painful knitting, having to untwist the yarn every other round or so. And I knit slower than a sleeping turtle, which doesn't help. In short - it feels like I might have jumped too far too quickly, and maybe I should just keep knitting garter stitch items to wear at home for the rest of my life.
I probably need to just say "F that! It's just a sweater, dammit!" and stop treating the mere concept of knitting one like it's holly or something. It's hard enough shutting myself up with the regular "What if it doesn't fit? What if it only looks nice in the picture/on the model/in this yarn?" chatter. I'm so awefully picky with clothes as it is, and would hate to finish a piece just to let it become moth food. Please, somebody tell me that it's just a beginning knitter phase and it'll get better!... I couldn't be the only one going through that?... Right?...
Sigh...
I'm going to make myself knit it, not because I feel like I need to prove myself, I mean - hey: I'm mighty happy knitting only socks. But I feel like I need to give it a shot. There are so many amazing sweater patterns out there it'll be a shame not to even try. If it'll come out ugly - I can always rip it apart and give the yarn to Suki, right?

3 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, September 13, 2006, Blogger alma vogler said...

I just want to tell you that you are not alone.I feel the same, because i also taught myself to knit. But if you can do socks with intricate patterns (my socks are a disgrace) you can do anything. go for it (i promise i'll try too)

 
At 1:11 PM, September 13, 2006, Blogger Michal Wright-Ward said...

thank you alma! we should both try together and email each frantically while we're doing it. finding someone to freak out with is priceless : )

 
At 4:56 PM, September 15, 2006, Blogger Dawn said...

oh i wish i knew how to knit better. i feel the same way you do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home