Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Shana Tova!

Oh, hellow there! Did you think I vanished off the face of the earth yet again? Youre not too far off. Although the mission to Mars giggled as it denied my application, the vortex of wholesale sewing and Plush You prep took me in happily. But I'm back, and I might actually get to talk about it soon. I just wanted to pop my head in and say Shana Tova! or - Happy Jewish New Year!
Yep, it's Rosh Hashanah again, and as they say - may this one be better, brighter, happier, craftier, more creative, better at work, more successful full of ...yarn!


This pile is a bit (!) of the loot I got at the sale at The Little Knittery in Los Feliz (the stock was way reduced by the time I got there, compared to the photo). I got some Rowan silk blends, some Katia snuggable goodness and some other stuff I can't be bothered checking the stash for. Hey, it was 50% off.

I have a late shift at work, so no time to make any holiday goodies. No reason to keep you starving, though! Jewish tradition demands vast feeding of the masses. And so I give to you - my mom's excellent recipe for a honey cake. It's really delicious, especially with the lemony glazing. Sorry if the instructions are a bit sparse. Like many other great recipes, it lives mostly in my mom's head (especially the modifications that make it really special) - which means short instructions, and lots of added love. Thanks mom! I hope you don't mind sharing.
Note: I gave the option to substitute the eggs and butter for a vegan option, but it is a honey cake which to most vegans renders it out of picture. If you're really strict - sorry. Maybe agave nectar or maple will work?


Mom’s Honey Cake

1 cup honey
1 cup sugar
200 gr (a bit over 7oz) butter/substitute

In a small pot or saucepan, heat on low heat until the melt. Blend together thoroughly. Take off the stove and let cool a bit.


2 eggs/substitute
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. clove
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. lemon or orange zest

Blend in a large bowl. Slowly add the cooled honey/sugar/butter mix. Blend thoroughly.

4 cups flour
2/3 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 cup cocoa powder (yep)
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup milk/soy milk

Mix one by one into the bowl. Add the milk last.
Bake at medium heat until a toothpick inserted in the middle yields small, fluffy crumbs (but the inside is still moist).

If you feel like adding a little something-something to the cake, try mixing about 2 tbsp. of lemon juice with 2 tbsp. powdered sugar in a cup until they melt (add some warm water if that’s not enough) and pour immediately over the warm cake (right out of the oven. Trust me, it makes a difference). Let cool completely.
Goes great with pomegranate, apples dipped in honey and lots of appetite.

Shavna Tova!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, September 12, 2007, Blogger tamdoll said...

Thank you for the recipe & Happy New Year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home