Friday, October 27, 2006

Frogtoberfest

Ah, my fellow knitters - I have been bad. I technically did join Socktoberfest, but... Well, it's been more of a sweateroberfest here this month, and then there was crochetoberfest, and then - there was today.


This here, my friends, is a tragedy called "Frogtoberfest". And if you recognize the yarn involved - you might appreciate the magnitude and the importance of this event. Yep, I frogged both the neverending jaywalkers and pomatamos. Well... Let's just say there was a reason why both were UFOs for so long. Jaywalker (in case you're new to the saga) beat me for the second time, not on quality but quantity. In short - I was running out of yarn. There go many an hour of critical studies occupational therapy. Pomatamos sleeps with the fishes because I made the stupid mistake of convincing myself that the otherwise lovely Opal Uni works on the #2 needles the pattern calls for. I might have been able to pull it off if it wasn't for the YOs. They made the socks look like a moth was knitting them, and that was unacceptable.
I'm well knowing for frogging everything I ever knit at least once, and for a good reason: one of knitting rules I adopted when I got out of the Lion Brand phase was that if I go and spend my time and money buying nice yarn and knitting it into something - I'd darn better wear it. Freaky - I know, but I really can't bring myself to create another one of those scarves I made in the beginning of my knitting career that will be sent to the Goodwill store sometime this month. Just ain't gonna happen, baby. So, in my mind, it's better to re-knit an almost finished pair of socks (and this time - toe up and short row heel, thank you very much) than hold it hostage to laziness and self delusion ("sure there is enough yarn!").
So much of a socktoberfest wasn't here, but thankfully, I now feel a little lighter. Kind of like when you finish a particularly atrocious chore. Or decide that you're just not going to do it, that is...

P.S.
There are also leftovers from the Branching Out scarf and Suki's Kitty Pi yarns that said cat managed to entangle completely with each other to create the biggest mess ever. And see how one pack of needles have only two in it? That's her too. She can open the cupboard, that's why.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 7:08 AM, October 28, 2006, Blogger Dorothy said...

You are absolutely not freaky - well at least not in your knitting life. In other areas I'm not qualified to judge. I frogged a sock last night that was top down and I was already past the heel! I don't know why I didn't notice that I used too large a needle and it was all floppy and icky and yes, I was going to run out of yarn too. So you're in good company.
dswaite@mac.com

 
At 7:00 AM, October 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this was really inspiring--i knit a hugely ugly jaywalker this summer out of yarn that deserves better, and i want to rip it out, but haven't worked up the guts yet. ps: am an american now knitting in studying in jerusalem--it's cool to see israeli knitters!

 
At 8:33 AM, October 30, 2006, Blogger Michal Wright-Ward said...

say hello to the holly land for me, Jessie! i think i heard there's an SnB in either Jerusalem or Tel Aviv. that should be interesting. how's the selection of yarn there?
about the jaywalker - it took me seven months to admit defeat on mine - don't lose hope! remember - the whol thing's about having fun, right?

 
At 6:34 PM, November 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey... I love your blog, I've found it via studiotamar....

anyway.... I know what you mean about frogging projects! I'm usually wary of frogging, just sallying forth, but I've recently frogged TWO projects that were sitting around and going nowhere, and I feel lighter, too! :-)

 
At 6:09 PM, November 02, 2006, Blogger Michal Wright-Ward said...

hooray to a lighter load! (and thank you very much!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home